Intelligent lightweight construction with a higher proportion of aluminium helps make the Coupé lighter than its predecessor. Light-alloy components include the wings, bonnet and boot lid. At the same time, the body is now much stiffer and stronger thanks to the use of high-strength materials, which has a positive effect on not only driving dynamics and noise levels but also crash safety. The Coupé therefore follows a Mercedes-Benz tradition in not only meeting all current national and international laws, but also all rating requirements as well as the more stringent internal Mercedes-Benz safety requirements, which are based on what actually happens in real-life accidents.
Mercedes-Benz is setting the pace in the field of aerodynamics and delivers cars with the best drag coefficients (Cd values) in almost all vehicle classes. The new C‑Class Coupé boasts a Cd value of 0.26. This leading figure pays off above all when driving on country roads and motorways as wind resistance is greater than other forms of driving resistance at speeds above 70 km/h.
Safe semi-autonomous driving to reduce stress
There are several safety and assistance systems based on the Mercedes-Benz Intelligent Drive concept to choose from. ATTENTION ASSIST with adjustable sensitivity, which can warn the driver of inattentiveness and drowsiness, is included as standard. Further standard equipment includes COLLISION PREVENTION ASSIST PLUS, which features an acoustic warning for the driver at speeds above 7 km/h and Adaptive Brake Assist to help avoid collisions by boosting the braking effect in line with the current situation. When a danger of collision persists and the driver fails to respond, the system is able to carry out autonomous braking at speeds of up to 200 km/h, thereby reducing the severity of collisions with slower or stopping vehicles or, in the best-case scenario, even avoiding the collision altogether. At speeds of up to 50 km/h the system also brakes in response to stationary vehicles, and is thus able to help prevent rear-end collisions at up to 40 km/h.
New assistance systems with substantially enhanced functions are optionally available, combining data from various sensor technologies such as radar sensors and a stereo camera as part of the Intelligent Drive concept to enhance comfort and safety:
- DISTRONIC PLUS with Steering Assist and Stop&Go Pilot is an adaptive cruise control system that can adjust the speed of the vehicle in line with
a slower-moving vehicle ahead in a speed range from 0 to 200 km/h if required. Likewise available from 0 to 200 km/h, steering intervention helps the driver stay in lane. And at speeds below 130 km/h, for example in traffic jams or when driving bumper to bumper, the system can follow the vehicle ahead even where there are no or unclear lane markings, thus enabling the driver to safety and comfortably follow the flow of traffic.
- As well as vehicles ahead and stationary vehicles, the BAS PLUS Brake Assist System can also detect crossing traffic and boost the braking force if the driver fails to apply the brakes sufficiently; in addition to slower-moving, stopping and stationary vehicles, the PRE-SAFE® Brake can even detect pedestrians and brake autonomously if the driver fails to react,
thus preventing accidents up to 50 km/h and mitigating the severity of collisions at speeds of up to 72 km/h. In flowing traffic the PRE-SAFE® Brake provides assistance according to the same mode of operation throughout the speed range from 7 to 200 km/h.
- Enhanced Active Lane Keeping Assist can now also prevent the vehicle from unintentionally drifting out of lane by applying the brakes on one side when the lane markings are solid or broken and there is a risk of collision, e.g. as a result of vehicles overtaking at high speed, parallel traffic or even oncoming traffic.
- PRE-SAFE® PLUS extends the Intelligent Drive functions to take account of imminent rear impacts. It warns the following traffic by activating the rear hazard warning lights at increased frequency and initiating preventive PRE‑SAFE® occupant protection measures such as the reversible belt tensioner immediately prior to the impact. If the vehicle is stationary, the brakes are locked to reduce the forward jolt, which reduces the forces acting on the occupants and the risk of secondary collisions.
- Active Parking Assist, which enables semi-automated parking with active steering and brake intervention in both parallel and end-on parking spaces
- A 360° camera which is able to show the vehicle and its surroundings from various perspectives, including a virtual bird’s-eye view, thus assisting with parking and manoeuvring
- Camera and navigation-based Traffic Sign Assist with wrong-way warning function, which warns of speed limits and also alerts the driver to the start and end of no-overtaking zones and gives the driver a visual and audible warning if no-entry signs are detected
- Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus, which allows the high-beam headlamps to be kept on permanently without dazzling traffic by masking out other vehicles in the cone of light from the high-beam headlamps
In addition to 3-point seat belts with pyrotechnical belt tensioning and belt-force limitation for driver, front passenger and rear passengers, numerous airbags serve to protect the vehicle’s occupants in an accident. These include:
- Frontal protection systems: Adaptive front airbags for driver and front passenger, additionally with a kneebag on the driver’s side
- Side protection systems: Thorax/pelvisbags for driver and front passenger plus front and rear windowbags, with rear sidebags available as an option
The air conditioning system in the new C-Class Coupé operates efficiently and ensures high air quality. As in the Saloon, it uses satellite navigation to detect tunnels. It therefore closes the air recirculation flap automatically when entering a tunnel and opens it again after exiting a tunnel.
The new multimedia generation offers intuitive controls with visual animations and effects. Frontbass ensures a listening experience almost on a par with a concert hall – especially if the optionally available Burmester® sound system is specified. The Frontbass system uses the space within the cross-member and side member in the body structure as a resonance chamber for the bass speakers.
The navigation system, which supplies the driver with precise traffic information in real time (Live Traffic Information), processes its contents interactively. Its features include an animated compass, a “Drive Show” with information for passengers similar to the on-screen presentations on board airliners and Google Maps displayed on the head unit.
Extensive networking even in the basic version
A Bluetooth®-compatible mobile phone with data option is all it takes to make even the Audio 20 system internet-capable. This enables surfing the internet without restrictions when the vehicle is stationary.
COMAND Online provides not only a larger display with a resolution of 960 x 540 pixels, it also allows digital TV/radio reception and, in addition to many other features, offers fast hard-disc navigation, integral WLAN hotspot functionality and the LINGUATRONIC voice control system.
The basic Audio 20 system as well as Audio 20 CD and COMAND Online all offer basic telephony as standard, which links up a mobile phone to the vehicle via a standardised Bluetooth® interface.
Like other models, the new C-Class Coupé has an extensive range of free Standard Services and Remote Online Services available as part of the “Mercedes connect me” package. Standard Services include automatic emergency call (eCall), Accident Recovery, breakdown assistance and after-sales service. The Remote Online services (standard with COMAND online and usable free of charge for the first three years) allow access to vehicle information at all times, including the status of windows and doors, mileage, tyre pressures and other diagnostic data. There is also a Vehicle Tracker function, remote door locking and unlocking, and remote auxiliary heating activation and deactivation.
The descriptions and information apply to the international Mercedes-Benz model range and may vary from country to country.