In terms of both design and technology, the second generation of the B-Class has ushered in a new compact-class era at Mercedes-Benz. More than 380,000 units of the sports tourer have been sold since its market launch in late 2011. The best-seller from Mercedes-Benz has now undergone a major facelift, including exterior and interior enhancements along with attractive, redefined design and equipment lines.
The breadth of choice is unique in this segment: five economical diesel models with consumption statistics ranging from 3.6 to 5.0 l/100 km, four efficient petrol engines at between 5.4 and 6.6 l/100 km, alternative drive systems (B 200 Natural Gas Drive and B-Class Electric Drive), as well as optional 4MATIC all-wheel drive. What is more, with a Cdvalue of less than 0.25 the sports tourer continues to be the role model for its class.
“As the first member of a completely new generation of compact class, for us the B-Class paved the way for great success in this vehicle segment. The pioneer is now in better shape than ever,” says Ola Källenius, Member of the Divisional Board Mercedes-Benz Cars responsible for Marketing & Sales. “The B-Class is the perfect (family) car for anyone who attaches importance to practicality, comfort and safety, but at the same time doesn’t want to miss out on sportiness or driving dynamics.”
More light: LED High Performance headlamps now available
The easiest way to recognise a facelifted B-Class with a petrol or diesel engine is from the front: a new bumper, wide radiator trim with two louvres and now integral daytime running lamps in the headlamps give the vehicle a more organic and dynamic appearance. LED High Performance headlamps create a more striking look, both day and night (optional extra). The rear bumper has also been modified and now features a contoured covering and an additional chrome trim strip.
The further-refined front section of the B-Class has an even more organic and dynamic look. It features an eye-catching front bumper with radiator trim surround and sporty V-shape. The LED daytime running lamps are integral with the headlamps. The optional LED High Performance headlamps create a more striking look, both day and night.
The key features of the front-end design:
- sporty, eye-catching front bumper, powerfully dynamic AMG bumper in combination with AMG Line
- wide radiator trim with distinctive shell diamond lattice in matt black, two louvres painted in matt iridium silver and a large Mercedes star
- two louvres in the radiator trim in combination with the equipment lines Style, Urban and AMG Line with chrome insert, high-gloss black louvres with chrome insert with Night package
- continuous dynamic V-shape of front section as far as the bumper
- LED High Performance headlamps (optional) with even more striking look, both day and night, and interesting Coming Home light.
- sweeping roof line with distinctive swage line
- sportily contoured roof spoiler
- side windows without visible frames
- two feature lines in the doors
- aerodynamically optimised exterior mirrors with indicator lamps, mirrors attached via bracing bars
- powerfully contoured wheel housings and muscular side sill panels.
The rear end combines strong design with a high level of functionality. The sporty proportions allow a wide load compartment opening and low loading edge. The modified rear bumper with contoured covering and chrome trim strip creates a dynamic look.
The key features of the rear design:
- tailpipe trims fully integral with bumper
- large, deep luggage compartment door with chrome-plated handle strip and LED number plate illumination (in combination with optional LED High Performance headlamps and/or reversing camera)
- wide, high-grade tail lamps extending from the luggage compartment door into the side wall; LED tail lights and brake lights (also in the basic variant) make for a special light design as well as added safety thanks to shorter response times of the brake lights
- LED tail lamps (optional) for an unmistakable, sporty light effect (in combination with optional LED High Performance headlamps)
- muscular, contoured rear bumper in colour of car with black-grained bottom part in diffuser look
- distinctive roof spoiler with integral third brake lamp.
Stylish dial layout and electroplated switches
A high-grade, functional interior underscores the B-Class’s premium quality claim. The facelift gives the vehicle a more exclusive, up-to-date feel and boosts the scope for individualisation.
Mercedes-Benz has now enhanced a number of high-quality details in the B‑Class, such as the large free-standing, frameless head unit display, which is now optionally available with a larger 20.3 cm (8-inch) diagonal, and the stylish dial layout for the instrument cluster. New is the chronograph look with black dial, four illuminated red pointers as well as modified typography.
Another highlight is the new 3-spoke steering wheel generation in different variants, including a multifunction sports steering wheel with flattened bottom section. Depending on equipment line and package, there is a choice of attractive materials and colours – from upholstery in Vianen fabric to cranberry red leather to black RED CUT leather. The stylish look & feel is rounded off by options such as ambience lighting with twelve different colours, exceptional trim and details such as electroplated switches in silver chrome for electric seat adjustment.
The key features of the interior design:
- high-grade materials and designs of seat covers, depending on the selected equipment line – from fabric to ARTICO man-made leather/DINAMICA microfibre to black RED CUT leather
- large, free-standing head unit display with a screen diagonal of 17.8 cm (7 inches) or 20.3 cm (8 inches), frameless in 8-inch variant
- instrument cluster in high-grade design with stylish dial layout in black and red-illuminated pointers
- 3-spoke multifunction steering wheel with one-piece black-painted moulding and chrome frame around the keypads, optionally with silver chrome moulding and, depending on equipment line, in different variants including leather steering wheel with perforated grip area
- 3-spoke multifunction sports steering wheel in leather, with flattened bottom section in combination with AMG Line
- innovative and high-grade trim with a line pattern, sail pattern, brown open-pore eucalyptus wood or black high-gloss ash wood
- the options of single-colour ambience lighting – as part of the Light and Sight package – and ambience lighting with twelve different colours for any desired lighting atmosphere
- electroplated switches in silver chrome for electric seat adjustment in door control panels and for top control panel.
“Mercedes connect me” links the B-Class to its environment
The available services include, among others, accident recovery, as well as service maintenance and incident management. In an accident, the Mercedes-Benz emergency call system automatically connects the occupants with the Mercedes-Benz Emergency Call Centre and sends the position and condition of the vehicle to the rescue operations centre. A rescue vehicle can then be dispatched immediately. The system works automatically but can also be triggered manually.
The special Remote Online equipment enables customers to connect with their vehicle anywhere and at any time via the URL “connect.mercedes.me” and to query by smartphone the fill level of their fuel tank, for example.
Mercedes connect me services are even more extensive for the B-Class Electric Drive: Via “connect.mercedes.me.” The current charging level of the lithium-ion battery and current vehicle range can be queried comfortably from a distance. The range of Mercedes connect me services is rounded off by the ability (depending on the temperature) to preheat or precool the vehicle ready for a specified departure time.
COMAND Online customers are also able to receive real-time traffic information courtesy of Live Traffic Information.