A string of design awards
Stuttgart/Hamburg. No less than four models and two one-off vehicle studies from Mercedes-Benz have won the internationally renowned “iF Product Design Award 2015”. A top-class jury awarded prizes to the Mercedes-Benz S-Class Coupé, the AMG GT, the Mercedes-Benz V-Class as well as the smart fortwo for their outstanding designs. In the Professional Concepts/Mobility category meanwhile, the Mercedes-Benz Future Truck 2025 and the Mercedes-Benz AMG Vision Gran Turismo picked up the coveted Design Award.
For decades the “iF Product Design Award” has ranked as one of the world’s most important design awards and represents the seal of approval for outstanding design. This year, some 53 design experts from 20 different countries selected their favourites from among more than 4500 contributions. The jury met to make its decision from 20 to 22 January 2015 in Hamburg. The iF Design Award night, held in honour of the award winners, is scheduled to take place on 27 February in Munich.
In the Automobiles category, four models from Mercedes-Benz picked up an “iF Product Design Award 2015”:
- With the V-Class Mercedes-Benz has redefined the MPV. At first glance the V-Class is unmistakably a member of the Mercedes-Benz passenger car family and creates an emotional highlight in its segment. With the powerful front end, sculptured V-shaped bonnet and progressively designed headlamps, it is a self-confident statement of modern luxury and embodies the Mercedes-Benz design philosophy of sensual purity in striking fashion. The V-Class combines room for up to eight people and exemplary functionality with the high-class appeal, comfort, efficient driving pleasure and safety that distinguish automobiles bearing the three-pointed star.
- With the new Mercedes-AMG GT, the sports car and performance brand of Mercedes-Benz is moving into a new, top-class segment for the company. The Mercedes-AMG GT has everything one would expect from an authentic sports car – from the characteristic styling with breathtaking proportions, powerfully shaped areas and flowing lines, through to thoroughbred motorsport technology and optimum weight distribution.
- The revolution is entering the next phase – the has undergone improvements in virtually all areas and is markedly more comfortable. The third generation of the smart fortwo features a clear, purist appearance and has been very progressively enhanced. With its typical attributes such as the silhouette with ultra-short overhangs, the clear lines and surfaces and the likeable smart face, it has remained unmistakably smart: fresh, modern and self-assured.
- A confidently stylish presence, exclusive appointments and refined sportiness – the S-Class Coupé from Mercedes-Benz combines the classic proportions of a large, sporty coupé with modern luxury and pioneering technology. The sensuous flowing silhouette with clear, progressive design idiom expresses the Mercedes-Benz philosophy of sensual purity with pithy precision. As a world premiere, the breathtaking two-door coupé can be optionally equipped with the MAGIC BODY CONTROL suspension system with curve inclination function.
In the Professional Concepts/Mobility category there were two award winners:
- The Mercedes-Benz Future Truck 2025 with Highway Pilot, which drives autonomously up to 80 km/h, was presented by Daimler Trucks in July 2014. Inside and out, this truck symbolises the great leap from classic truck to autonomous transport vehicle of the future – the conventional truck cab is superseded by innovative forms and the lighting system. The exceptional design of the Mercedes-Benz Future Truck 2025 study combines functionality, efficiency and emotion to exciting effect and represents much more than just a distant vision: the truck is set to hit the roads in ten years and many of its technological components are already available and ready for use.
- With the Mercedes-AMG Vision Gran Turismo, the Stuttgart-based premium brand presented its visionary concept for a super sports car. Mercedes-Benz designers developed the super sports car with hallmark Mercedes gullwing doors for the new PlayStation® 3 racing game Gran Turismo® 6. The design of this concept car demonstrates to extreme effect the perfect symbiosis between emotional, sensuous contours and intelligently presented high-tech. As a 1:1-scale model, the Mercedes-AMG Vision Gran Turismo celebrated its world premiere at the opening of the new Mercedes-Benz Research & Development Center in Sunnyvale, California.